Five Red Flags to Look for when Choosing a Moving Company
You don’t want to hand over all of your possessions to just anyone. When choosing a moving company, it’s important to select a company that is trustworthy.
The Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) received more than 3,100 complaints against moving companies in 2012. Some of the most common complaints included items being held hostage, lost and damaged items, delayed shipments and overcharges.
Here are several red flags to be on the lookout for when choosing a moving company:
- The company doesn’t provide you with a copy of “Your Rights and Responsibilities when You Move.” Every moving company in the United States is required by law to provide you with this booklet.
- The moving company has a sketchy internet presence – if they have one at all. A long-standing professional moving company should have some type of internet presence. If you aren’t able to find any information about the company online, or if the company’s website doesn’t provide basic information, such as the company’s address or licensing information, then that’s not a good sign.
- The company wants a full payment before you move. It’s a red flag if the company asks for all of the money up front or if they ask for a large cash down payment.
- The moving company has poor reviews. It’s always a good idea to ask around and search online before selecting a moving company. Be wary of any company that has mostly poor reviews – either online or in person.
- The moving company does not have a brand presence. If the movers don’t have uniforms, the trucks don’t have names on them and the phones are answered without mentioning the company’s name, then those are huge red flags that the moving company may not be legit.
The best way to avoid scams is by selecting a moving company that has been established for awhile. Infinity Moving & Storage has been in the New York City moving business for more than fifteen years, so customers know they can count on us. If you’d like to receive a free on-site estimate, call us at 888-545-8400!